The Chief Inspectorate of Mines is established to perform following functions:
- Safety of mines and mine workers through inspections of mine sites.
- Mine Disaster Management including rescue and recovery; and forecasting of dangers through mins environment sample testing.
- Human Resource Development through teaching and traning.
- Health Care of Mine Workers.
- Welfare of Mine Workers by providing housing, drinking water and other facilities.
- Excise Duty Collection imposed on notified minerals.